sputter/roar to lifeidiom
Definition of sputter/roar to life
of a machine
: to begin working The engine suddenly roared to life. After several attempts to start it, the engine finally sputtered to life.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Advanced Vocabulary Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Syn City Play the game