spring onphrasal verb
sprang on or sprung on; sprung on; springing on; springs on
Definition of spring on
: to surprise (someone) with (something, such as a request or announcement) You should try to prepare them for your decision instead of just springing it on them suddenly.
showing great care, attention, and effort
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Finance Words Quiz Take the quiz
- Namesakes Word Quiz Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game