spread outphrasal verb
spread out; spreading out; spreads out
Definition of spread out
1 : to open, arrange, or place (something) over a large area He spread out the map on the table. He spread the cards out on the table. The cards were spread out across the table.
2 : to be open, arranged, or extended over a large area The city is spread out over a wide area.
3 : to move (parts of the body) outward or away from each other Spread your arms out. There's no room on the couch to spread yourself out.
4 : to divide up (something) over a period of time or among members of a group They spread the work out among the committee members. The course is spread out over two semesters.
5 : to move apart from the other members of a group especially to search an area The police spread out to search the area faster.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 10/18/19
- Noah Webster's Spelling Wins and Fails
- The Disputed Origins of the 'Egg Cream'
- At the Root of ‘Cubicle’
- Why Do People Pronounce It "Nucular"?
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Advanced Vocabulary Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Bee Cubed Play the game