plural spit takes or spit-takes
Definition of spit take
: the act of spitting out one's drink in response to something funny or surprising especially for comedic effect Whether you're grading on difficulty or execution, this spit take is nearly a perfect ten. [Stephen] Colbert maintains a perfect 25-degree angle-of-spew throughout the duration—nearly an entire second—while effortlessly hitting the kind of water throughput levels more commonly seen in aqueduct design than comedy sketches.— Matthew Dessem If this morning's news had you doing a spit take over your morning coffee, don't worry, Keurig Dr Pepper is happy to sell you another cup.— Brad Avery When his name is announced as a best director nominee, Tarantino performs an epic spit-take, proving that the wanton spraying of bodily fluids is a personal proclivity as well as a cinematic one. — Thrillist Entertainment College prices have long provoked headshaking, but in recent years they've been more likely to cause a spit-take.— Michael Rubiner
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Is the Word 'Freshman' Going Out of Style?
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/23/19
- Getting to the Heart of 'Epicenter'
- 'Conscience' vs. 'Conscious': Let Us Be Your Guide
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game