spill outphrasal verb
spilled out also spilt out; spilling out; spills out
Definition of spill out
: to fall, flow, or run over the edge of a container or to cause or allow (something) to fall, flow, or run over the edge of a container The bag ripped open and the flour spilled out onto the floor. The bag ripped open and spilled out its contents all over the floor. She spilled the contents of her purse out on the table. —sometimes used figuratively All his thoughts suddenly came spilling out.He spilled his thoughts out to her.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- 7 Words Related to "Work"
- The Parts of the Fruit: Seed, Pericarp, and More
- The Trick to Choosing 'Pawn Off' or 'Palm Off'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 9/13/19
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?