spend the nightidiom
Definition of spend the night
1 : to sleep for the night at a place After the party she was too drunk to drive so she spent the night. —often + at They spent the night at her brother's.
2 : to stay with someone overnight and have sex with that person —+ with She spent the night with her boyfriend.
something valued as if it were money
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Time Traveler Quiz: Which Word Came First? Take the quiz
- Slippery Words Quiz—Changing with the Times Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game