speak ofphrasal verb
spoke of; spoken of; speaking of; speaks of
Definition of speak of
1 : to talk or write about (someone or something) : to mention (a subject) in speech or writing Speaking of Jill, where is she? It was the first time she spoke of going to law school. She never speaks of her suffering during the war. In the letter, he spoke of feeling ill.
2 : to indicate or suggest (something) His diaries speak of a troubled mind.
3 : to talk about (someone or something) in a specified way He spoke well/highly/favorably of both job candidates.
4 chiefly US : to show that (someone or something) does or does not deserve to be praised, admired, etc. The continued success of the business speaks well of their judgment. Her bad behavior speaks poorly of her upbringing.
to affect and impair by alcohol or a drug
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Words from Greek and Latin Quiz Take the quiz
- Name That Thing: Animal Edition Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- Syn City Play the game