speak forphrasal verb
spoke for; spoken for; speaking for; speaks for
Definition of speak for
: to express the thoughts or opinions of (someone) They chose him to speak for the group. Speaking only for myself, I'm against the plan. "We don't want any dessert." "Speak for yourself. I want some." —often used figuratively I don't need to say more. The facts speak for themselves.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Do You 'Rein In' or 'Reign In' Something?
- Tiger Mom, Helicopter Parent, and More Words for Parenting Types
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 6/21/19
- An Overview of the Contronym 'Overlook'
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Words for Summer: A Quiz Take the quiz
- Finance Words Quiz Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- Syn City Play the game