Definition of sodium sulfide
: a sulfide of sodium especially : a crystalline compound Na2S usually obtained by heating sodium sulfate with coal or hydrogen and used in dehairing hides, in the manufacture of sulfur dyes, as a solvent for these dyes, and as a reducing agent for the nitro group in making amines — compare black ash entry 2 sense 2, sodium hydrosulfide, sodium polysulfide
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- Why Do People Pronounce It "Nucular"?
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Word Puzzles Take the quiz
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Add Diction Play the game