Definition of sodium sulfide
: a sulfide of sodium especially : a crystalline compound Na2S usually obtained by heating sodium sulfate with coal or hydrogen and used in dehairing hides, in the manufacture of sulfur dyes, as a solvent for these dyes, and as a reducing agent for the nitro group in making amines — compare black ash entry 2 sense 2, sodium hydrosulfide, sodium polysulfide
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Parts of the Fruit: Seed, Pericarp, and More
- The Trick to Choosing 'Pawn Off' or 'Palm Off'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 9/13/19
- A Guide to Using Colons
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?