Definition of so as
1a obsolete : so sense 1a I hope you shall receive honorable requital of his amicable ambassade so as you shall have no cause to regret his arrival— Elizabeth I
b : so sense 1b repeated aloud so as there'd be no chance of a mistake— G. W. Brace
2 : provide that could play 'em a tune on any sort of pot you please, so as it was iron or block tin— Charles Dickens
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Words We're Watching: 'Samesies'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 10/18/19
- Noah Webster's Spelling Wins and Fails
- The Disputed Origins of the 'Egg Cream'
Ask the Editors
- Why Do People Pronounce It "Nucular"?
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Advanced Vocabulary Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Dictionary Devil Play the game