smooth outphrasal verb
Definition of smooth out
1 : to make (something) smooth or flat Help me smooth out the tablecloth. After we dug up the soil, we smoothed it out before we planted the seeds.
2 : to make (something) easier by removing or dealing with problems We will smooth out the election process by next year. She tried to smooth things out with her daughter-in-law, but the damage was done.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Name That Thing: Animal Edition Take the quiz
- The Exceptions Quiz Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game