smooth outphrasal verb
smoothed out; smoothing out; smooths out also smoothes out
Definition of smooth out
1 : to make (something) smooth or flat Help me smooth out the tablecloth. After we dug up the soil, we smoothed it out before we planted the seeds.
2 : to make (something) easier by removing or dealing with problems We will smooth out the election process by next year. She tried to smooth things out with her daughter-in-law, but the damage was done.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Different Words for Luggage and Baggage
- Rapping on 'Bad Rap' and 'Bad Rep' (and 'Bad Wrap')
- 'Confuzzled': A Not So Confusing Definition
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 5/17/19
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Time Traveler Quiz: Which Word Came First? Take the quiz
- Slippery Words Quiz—Changing with the Times Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game