skim offphrasal verb
skimmed off; skimming off; skims off
Definition of skim off
1 : to remove a layer of (something) from the surface of a liquid She skimmed the cream off the milk.
2 : to take (something valuable) for oneself out of something else He skimmed off some of the profits.
an act or instance of editing or removing
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- 12 Words For A Lunar Travelogue
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 7/19/19
- On ‘Perpetrate’ and ‘Perpetuate’
- 13 Verbs From The Breakfast Table
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?