sit up and take noticeidiom (1)
Definition of sit up and take notice
(Entry 1 of 2)
: to suddenly pay attention to (someone or something) The news made them sit up and take notice.
(sit up and) take noticeidiom (2)
Definition of (sit up and) take notice (Entry 2 of 2)
: to become aware of and give attention to someone or something The team has been playing better recently, and people are starting to (sit up and) take notice.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Summer Reading Picks from Merriam-Webster Staffers
- The Wayward Cousins of 'Irregardless'
- Different Words for Luggage and Baggage
- Rapping on 'Bad Rap' and 'Bad Rep' (and 'Bad Wrap')
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Time Traveler Quiz: Which Word Came First? Take the quiz
- Slippery Words Quiz—Changing with the Times Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game