sat back; sitting back; sits back
Definition of sit back
1 : to get into a comfortable and relaxed position in a chair, seat, etc. Sit back and enjoy the ride.
2 : to make no effort to do something He sat back and watched us do all the work. How can you just sit back and let him insult you like that?
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- 'Piano': Its Name Is Only Half the Story
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 11/15/19
- 'Cliché': We’ve Heard It All Before
- 'Bounty Hunter': A Hollywood Invention
Ask the Editors
- Pass the Little Ribbons: A Pasta Word Quiz Take the quiz
- Confusing Words—A Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Bee Cubed Play the game