sit backphrasal verb
Definition of sit back
1 : to get into a comfortable and relaxed position in a chair, seat, etc. Sit back and enjoy the ride.
2 : to make no effort to do something He sat back and watched us do all the work. How can you just sit back and let him insult you like that?
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Words from Greek and Latin Quiz Take the quiz
- Name That Thing: Animal Edition Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game