sit backphrasal verb
sat back; sitting back; sits back
Definition of sit back
1 : to get into a comfortable and relaxed position in a chair, seat, etc. Sit back and enjoy the ride.
2 : to make no effort to do something He sat back and watched us do all the work. How can you just sit back and let him insult you like that?
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Registering the Politics of 'Register'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 10/11/19
- Minding 'Never mind' and 'Nevermind'
- A Brief on 'Brief' and 'Debrief'
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Advanced Vocabulary Quiz Take the quiz
- Name That Thing Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game