variants: or less commonly sissu \ ˈsi(ˌ)sü \
Definition of sissoo
1 : any of several trees of the genus Dalbergia especially : an East Indian tree (D. sissoo) whose leaves are used as fodder
2 : the dark brown compact and durable timber of the sissoo tree used especially in shipbuilding and for making railroad ties
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Words We're Watching: 'Samesies'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 10/18/19
- Noah Webster's Spelling Wins and Fails
- The Disputed Origins of the 'Egg Cream'
Ask the Editors
- Why Do People Pronounce It "Nucular"?
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Advanced Vocabulary Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Dictionary Devil Play the game