Definition of silica aerogel
: colloidal silica in the form of a fine lightweight powder with grains having minute pores that is made from silica gel and used chiefly as thermal insulation especially at low temperatures (as in refrigerators)
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- Why Do People Pronounce It "Nucular"?
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Advanced Vocabulary Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Dictionary Devil Play the game