shy (away) fromphrasal verb
shied (away) from; shying (away) from; shies (away) from
Definition of shy (away) from
: to try to avoid (something) because of nervousness, fear, dislike, etc. They never shied from publicity. She shies away from making any predictions.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/23/19
- Getting to the Heart of 'Epicenter'
- 'Conscience' vs. 'Conscious': Let Us Be Your Guide
- It's a Scorcher! Words for the Summer Heat
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Dictionary Devil Play the game