Definition of show oneself
1 : to move out from a hidden place so that one can be seen The guard ordered him to show himself.
2 : to show that one is a particular kind of person, that one has a particular skill, etc. She has shown herself capable of running the company. —often followed by to be They showed themselves to be cowards.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
- The Parts of the Fruit: Seed, Pericarp, and More
- The Trick to Choosing 'Pawn Off' or 'Palm Off'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 9/13/19
- A Guide to Using Colons
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?