Definition of show oneself
1 : to move out from a hidden place so that one can be seen The guard ordered him to show himself.
2 : to show that one is a particular kind of person, that one has a particular skill, etc. She has shown herself capable of running the company. —often followed by to be They showed themselves to be cowards.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Advanced Vocabulary Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game