short of the markidiom
Definition of short of the mark
: not reaching the target that was aimed for the bullet was/fell short of the mark —often used figuratively Our fund-raising fell short of the mark.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Farm Idioms Quiz Take the quiz
- Up in the Sky: A Quiz Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- Dictionary Devil Play the game