shift/tip/tilt the balance of poweridiom
Definition of shift/tip/tilt the balance of power
: to cause a state or situation in which one country or group (such as a political party) has more power than a competing one Their party's loss of two members shifted/tipped the balance of power in the legislature. The law tilts the balance of power towards corporations.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/16/19
- Lovelock to Trichologist: 8 Words About Hair
- The Haiku That Can Pay You Contest Winners
- Must 'Collide' Mean Two Moving Objects?
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- Bee Cubed Play the game