Definition of sharing economy
: economic activity that involves individuals buying or selling usually temporary access to goods or services especially as arranged through an online company or organization Arguably the biggest sector of the sharing economy is travel. People are renting their beds to out-of-towners (Airbnb and Couchsurfer), leading them on guided tours (Vayable and CanaryHop) and hosting meals (Voulez Vous Diner and EatWith), sometimes for free but on most sites for a price—though one far below those found at local hotels.— Eliana Dockterman
Keep scrolling for more
incapable of being surmounted or overcome
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Finance Words Quiz Take the quiz
- Namesakes Word Quiz Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- Dictionary Devil Play the game