shariʽanoun, often capitalized
variants: or \ shəˈrēə \ or less commonly \ -ēət \ or or \ ˈshär \ or sheri \ shəˈrē \ or sheria \ shəˈrēə \ or sheriat \ -ēət \
Definition of shariʽa
: the body of formally established sacred law in Islam based primarily on Allah's commandments found in the Koran and revealed through the sunna of Muhammad, governing in theory not only religious matters but regulating as well political, economic, civil, criminal, ethical, social, and domestic affairs in Muslim countries, and commonly in practice being supplemented by the customary law of a region — compare adat
Keep scrolling for more
something valued as if it were money
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Time Traveler Quiz: Which Word Came First? Take the quiz
- Slippery Words Quiz—Changing with the Times Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- Bee Cubed Play the game