Definition of shake-off
(Entry 1 of 2)
: an act or instance of getting rid of what is unpleasant, undesirable, or unwanted
shake offtransitive verb
Definition of shake off (Entry 2 of 2)
of a baseball pitcher
: to express disagreement with (as a catcher's sign) by a negative gesture
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 10/18/19
- Noah Webster's Spelling Wins and Fails
- The Disputed Origins of the 'Egg Cream'
- At the Root of ‘Cubicle’
Ask the Editors
- Why Do People Pronounce It "Nucular"?
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Advanced Vocabulary Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Bee Cubed Play the game