Definition of shake-off
(Entry 1 of 2)
: an act or instance of getting rid of what is unpleasant, undesirable, or unwanted
shake offtransitive verb
Definition of shake off (Entry 2 of 2)
of a baseball pitcher
: to express disagreement with (as a catcher's sign) by a negative gesture
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- 7 Words Related to "Work"
- The Parts of the Fruit: Seed, Pericarp, and More
- The Trick to Choosing 'Pawn Off' or 'Palm Off'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 9/13/19
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?