Definition of shad-bellied
1 : constituting or resembling a man's coat similar to a cutaway and having the front edges cut on a gradual slant from the front to the tails
2 : having a thin or flat belly a shad-bellied old man
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- Why Do People Pronounce It "Nucular"?
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Advanced Vocabulary Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Dictionary Devil Play the game