set (oneself) againstphrasal verb
set (oneself) against; setting (oneself) against; sets (oneself) against
Definition of set (oneself) against
: to decide that one does not support (something or someone) : to be or become opposed to (something or someone) She set herself against the prevailing beliefs of the time. He has set himself against (joining) them.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
- 'Conscience' vs. 'Conscious': Let Us Be Your Guide
- Hot Enough for You? Words for the Summer Heat
- Where Does 'Run-of-the-Mill' Come From?
- The Provenance of 'Providence'
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game