separate outphrasal verb
separated out; separating out; separates out
Definition of separate out
: to remove (someone or something) from a group Before you put out the trash, you have to separate out the bottles and cans. Most schools separate out children with learning problems.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Parts of the Fruit: Seed, Pericarp, and More
- The Trick to Choosing 'Pawn Off' or 'Palm Off'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 9/13/19
- A Guide to Using Colons
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?