sensu la·to | \ -ˈlāt(ˌ)ō\
Definition of sensu lato
: in a broad sense —used especially with names of taxa to indicate that the name is used more inclusively than sanctioned by current practice Pyrus sensu lato includes pear, apple, quince, mountain ash and related forms — compare sensu stricto
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- Why Do People Pronounce It "Nucular"?
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Word Puzzles Take the quiz
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Add Diction Play the game