send outphrasal verb
Definition of send out
1 : to mail (something) to many different people or places Have you sent out the invitations yet?
2 : to cause (a signal) to go out The pilot sent out a distress signal.
3 : to cause (light, heat, etc.) to move outward from a source The coals sent out a reddish glow.
4 : to produce (something) in the process of growing or developing The plant began to send out its shoots.
to affect and impair by alcohol or a drug
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Words from Greek and Latin Quiz Take the quiz
- Name That Thing: Animal Edition Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game