send outphrasal verb
sent out; sending out; sends out
Definition of send out
1 : to mail (something) to many different people or places Have you sent out the invitations yet?
2 : to cause (a signal) to go out The pilot sent out a distress signal.
3 : to cause (light, heat, etc.) to move outward from a source The coals sent out a reddish glow.
4 : to produce (something) in the process of growing or developing The plant began to send out its shoots.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Advanced Vocabulary Quiz Take the quiz
- Name That Thing Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game