send a chill/shiver up/down someone's spineidiom
Definition of send a chill/shiver up/down someone's spine
: to make someone feel very thrilled, frightened, etc. Her thrilling performance sent a chill up my spine. The very thought of encountering those people in a dark alley sends a shiver down my spine.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Parts of the Fruit: Seed, Pericarp, and More
- The Trick to Choosing 'Pawn Off' or 'Palm Off'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 9/13/19
- A Guide to Using Colons
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?