Definition of self-stimulatory
: of, relating to, or involving the stimulation of oneself Self-stimulatory behavior, often initiated to alleviate extreme anxiety, may serve as a coping mechanism to counteract an overwhelming sensory environment. This may be observed as various repetitive actions (stimming) and may include hand-flapping, rocking, body spinning, obsessive handling of an object, and echolalia …— Jacqueline C. Dailey This boy engaged in a high rate of self-stimulatory activity, and on occasion would scream loudly when a peer interrupted his repetitive behavior.— Nancy Stephens and Elaina Sauber Many get satisfaction from self-stimulatory, masturbatory techniques rather than via one's partner.— Kersi Chavda
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- Why is there a 'd' in 'fridge' but not in 'refrigerator'?
- 'All Intensive Purposes' or 'All Intents and Purposes'?
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Name that Thing: Dog Breeds Take the quiz
- Words You Should Know Quiz, Vol. 1 Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game