Definition of self-renew
- Stem cells are multipotential cells that have the capacity to proliferate in an undifferentiated state, to self-renew, and to give rise to all the cell types of a particular tissue.
- —Steve S. W. Han et al., Journal of the American Medical Association, 3 May 2000
self-renewalplay \¦self-ri-¦n(y)ü-əl\ noun, plural self-renewals
- For a long time it has been assumed that heart muscle cells are incapable of self-renewal.
- —Lisa Melton, New Scientist, 25 Sept. 2004
- If we are less than bold in addressing these problems—through self-renewal within our community and by pressing the powers-that-be for resources to make a difference—then we risk losing an entire generation.
- —Maxine Waters, Elle, May 1993
- self-renewing stem cells
- American diction constantly crosses over class lines, which is what makes it so refreshingly democratic and self-renewing.
- —Güneli Gün, Times Literary Supplement, 12 Mar. 1999