Definition of self-invented
1 : invented or created by oneself a self-invented name/identity These elements—which evince a, dare we say, heroic devotion to a self-invented rock-and-roll ideal—are the keys to ZZ Top's longevity and appeal.— John Beifuss The athlete [Ted Ligety] skis with what The New York Times has called a self-invented style, positioning himself so low on each turn that he's almost "sitting on the snow."— Emily Sullivan
2 : self-made It tells the story … of a self-invented billionaire's attempt to escape the inevitable through cryonic suspension.— Philip Martin
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/23/19
- Getting to the Heart of 'Epicenter'
- 'Conscience' vs. 'Conscious': Let Us Be Your Guide
- It's a Scorcher! Words for the Summer Heat
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?