se·di·le | \ sə̇ˈdīlē\
plural sedilia\ -ˈdilēə \
Definition of sedile
: one of usually three seats in the chancel of a church near the altar used by officiating clergy during intervals of a service and in an English church usually placed in a recess in the south wall
Keep scrolling for more
showing great care, attention, and effort
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Finance Words Quiz Take the quiz
- Namesakes Word Quiz Take the quiz
- Name That Thing Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game