less common spelling of scallop
1a : any of numerous marine bivalve lamellibranch mollusks (family Pectinidae) that have a radially ribbed shell with the edge undulated and that swim by opening and closing the valves
b : the adductor muscle of a scallop as an article of food
2a : a valve or shell of a scallop
b : a baking dish shaped like a valve of a scallop
3 : one of a continuous series of circle segments or angular projections forming a border (as on cloth or metal)
4 : pattypan
5 [ French escalope, probably from Middle French, shell ] : a thin slice of boneless meat or fish veal scallops
— called also escalope
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Do You 'Rein In' or 'Reign In' Something?
- Tiger Mom, Helicopter Parent, and More Words for Parenting Types
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 6/21/19
- An Overview of the Contronym 'Overlook'
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Words for Summer: A Quiz Take the quiz
- Finance Words Quiz Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game