Definition of schmutz
: a filthy or soiling substance (such as mud, dust, or grime) : dirt … what's a little schmutz to a New Yorker? That's why we have immune systems. — Discover What to watch while wiping some schmutz off your million dollar face with a hundred dollar bill in the presence of an attractive young lady … — Deadspin … point out the schmutz on a classmate's shirt.— Jonathan Marks
Keep scrolling for more
a sum of money that is sent as a payment
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Time Traveler Quiz: Which Word Came First? Take the quiz
- Slippery Words Quiz—Changing with the Times Take the quiz
- Name That Thing Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game