scare away/offphrasal verb
scared away/off; scaring away/off; scares away/off
Definition of scare away/off
: to cause (someone or something) to go away and stay away because of fear or because of possible trouble, difficulty, etc. The dog scared the prowler away. The noise scared off the birds. Tourists have been scared off by the recent violence in the city.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/23/19
- Getting to the Heart of 'Epicenter'
- 'Conscience' vs. 'Conscious': Let Us Be Your Guide
- It's a Scorcher! Words for the Summer Heat
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- Name That Thing Take the quiz
- Add Diction Play the game