variants: or savannah elephant
Definition of savanna elephant
: an African elephant of sub-Saharan savannas that is sometimes considered a species (Loxodonta africana) or subspecies (Loxodonta africana africana) distinct from the forest elephant Biologists know a great deal about the savanna elephant, the world's largest land mammal, which is easy to spot and easy to monitor. But the forest elephants … are smaller, more elusive creatures.— Peter Canby, Harper's, July 2002
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
- The Provenance of 'Providence'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/16/19
- Lovelock to Trichologist: 8 Words About Hair
- The Haiku That Can Pay You Contest Winners
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- Name That Thing Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game