Definition of sandhi
: modification of the sound of a morpheme (such as a word or affix) conditioned by syntactic context in which it is uttered (such as pronunciation of -ed as \d\ in glazed and as \t\ in paced or occurrence of a in a cow and of an in an old cow)
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Why Do People Pronounce It "Nucular"?
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Word Puzzles Take the quiz
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Add Diction Play the game