run out of gasidiom
Definition of run out of gas
: to no longer have any gas in one's vehicle Our car ran out of gas on the way here. We ran out of gas just as the car reached the gas station. —sometimes used figuratively to indicate getting tiredThe pitcher ran out of gas in the seventh inning.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- 'Bounty Hunter': A Hollywood Invention
- Casting Light on 'Angel'
- Words We're Watching: 'Lewk'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 11/8/19
Ask the Editors
- Confusing Words—A Quiz Take the quiz
- Here Be Dragons: A Creature Identification Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Add Diction Play the game