run out of gasidiom
Definition of run out of gas
: to no longer have any gas in one's vehicle Our car ran out of gas on the way here. We ran out of gas just as the car reached the gas station. —sometimes used figuratively to indicate getting tired The pitcher ran out of gas in the seventh inning.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- April 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Words from Greek and Latin Quiz Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game