root outphrasal verb
Definition of root out
1 : to find and remove (something or someone) The mayor was determined to root out corruption in city government.
2 : to find (something or someone) after searching for a long time He finally rooted out the cause of the problem.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Words from Greek and Latin Quiz Take the quiz
- Name That Thing: Animal Edition Take the quiz
- Name That Thing Take the quiz
- Dictionary Devil Play the game