root forphrasal verb
rooted for; rooting for; roots for
Definition of root for
: to express or show support for (a person, a team, etc.) : to hope for the success of (someone or something) They always root for the home team. Good luck on your upcoming show. Remember that we're all rooting for you.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Farm Idioms Quiz Take the quiz
- Up in the Sky: A Quiz Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- Add Diction Play the game