root forphrasal verb
Definition of root for
: to express or show support for (a person, a team, etc.) : to hope for the success of (someone or something) They always root for the home team. Good luck on your upcoming show. Remember that we're all rooting for you.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Words from Greek and Latin Quiz Take the quiz
- Name That Thing: Animal Edition Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game