Definition of riprap
(Entry 1 of 2)
1 : a foundation or sustaining wall of stones or chunks of concrete thrown together without order (as in deep water) also : a layer of this or similar material on an embankment slope to prevent erosion
2 : material used for riprap
riprapped; riprapping; ripraps
Definition of riprap (Entry 2 of 2)
1 : to form a riprap in or upon
2 : to strengthen or support with a riprap
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Where Does 'Run-of-the-Mill' Come From?
- The Provenance of 'Providence'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/16/19
- Lovelock to Trichologist: 8 Words About Hair
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- Syn City Play the game