band·gap | \ ˈband-ˌgap\
Definition of bandgap
: the difference in energy between the valence band and the conduction band of a solid material (such as an insulator or semiconductor) that consists of the range of energy values forbidden to electrons in the material
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- We Added New Words to the Dictionary for September 2019
- 7 Words Related to "Work"
- The Parts of the Fruit: Seed, Pericarp, and More
- The Trick to Choosing 'Pawn Off' or 'Palm Off'
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?