Definition of rigged
1 : manipulated or controlled by deceptive or dishonest means a rigged election Attempts to pass a rigged repatriation bill are exhibit A of what enrages Americans about Washington and Wall Street.— Brent Budowsky His reluctance stemmed not from a lack of mercy but from his sense that pardons were a rigged game, tilted in favor of offenders with political connections.— Massimo Calabresi et al.
2 : fitted out with rigging of a specified kind The Cornish lugger was a small, two-masted, fore-and-aft rigged boat.— Mark Kurlansky When she enters service in the fall of 1999, only the second five-masted full rigged ship ever built, she will bear the moniker of "the largest true sailing ship afloat today."— Kevin Haydon
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- “In Vino Veritas” and Other Latin Phrases to Live By
- 7 Shakespearean Insults to Make Life More Interesting
- Word Well Used: 'Resplendent'
- Machiavellianism and (A Whole Lot) More
Ask the Editors
- That Sounds Right/Write/Wright Take the quiz
- Name That Thing: Animal Edition Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game