report backphrasal verb
reported back; reporting back; reports back
Definition of report back
1 : to return to a place in order to report information, do more work, etc. Report back in two hours. —often + to Report back to my office in two hours.
2 : to give (newly found information) to someone The policeman reported back that he found nothing wrong. —often + to Each researcher reports his results back to the project director.
to form ideas or theories about something
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Farm Idioms Quiz Take the quiz
- Up in the Sky: A Quiz Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game