Definition of relative pronoun
1 : a pronoun (as who, which, that) that introduces a clause modifying an antecedent (as in the man who would be king)
2 : an indefinite relative (as who, whoever, what, whatever) that introduces a clause functioning as a substantive (as in order what you like or invite whomever you please)
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- 'Bounty Hunter': A Hollywood Invention
- Casting Light on 'Angel'
- Words We're Watching: 'Lewk'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 11/8/19
Ask the Editors
- Confusing Words—A Quiz Take the quiz
- Here Be Dragons: A Creature Identification Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Dictionary Devil Play the game