Definition of relative pronoun
1 : a pronoun (as who, which, that) that introduces a clause modifying an antecedent (as in the man who would be king)
2 : an indefinite relative (as who, whoever, what, whatever) that introduces a clause functioning as a substantive (as in order what you like or invite whomever you please)
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Registering the Politics of 'Register'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 10/11/19
- Minding 'Never mind' and 'Nevermind'
- A Brief on 'Brief' and 'Debrief'
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Advanced Vocabulary Quiz Take the quiz
- Name That Thing Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game