Definition of relative pitch
1 : the pitch of a musical tone as determined by its position in a scale —distinguished from absolute pitch
2 : the ability to recognize or produce a musical tone at its correct pitch according to its relative position in a scale she has good relative pitch
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- Why Do People Pronounce It "Nucular"?
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Word Puzzles Take the quiz
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Add Diction Play the game