rein inphrasal verb
reined in; reining in; reins in
Definition of rein in
1 : to limit or control (someone or something) Congress must rein in spending. You had better rein that kid in before she gets hurt.
2 : to make (an animal) stop by using reins The rider reined in his horse.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
- Where Does 'Run-of-the-Mill' Come From?
- The Provenance of 'Providence'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/16/19
- Lovelock to Trichologist: 8 Words About Hair
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?