re·gence | \ ˈrējən(t)s\
Definition of regence
: of, relating to, or being furniture or a furniture style characteristic of the regency of the Duke of Orleans, prevalent between about 1680 and 1725, and marked by a gradual transition from the earlier severely angular and massive to the delicate curvatures of Louis XV style
Keep scrolling for more
something valued as if it were money
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Time Traveler Quiz: Which Word Came First? Take the quiz
- Slippery Words Quiz—Changing with the Times Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game