Definition of red-bellied woodpecker
: a woodpecker (Melanerpes carolinus) of the eastern U.S. that has a barred black-and-white back, grayish-tan underparts tinged with red on the belly, and a red crown and nape in the male and a red nape in the female Fifty feet from the nest I'm watching, a larger red-bellied woodpecker lands at another hole.— Dan Guynn, Jr.
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Summer Reading Picks from Merriam-Webster Staffers
- The Wayward Cousins of 'Irregardless'
- Different Words for Luggage and Baggage
- Rapping on 'Bad Rap' and 'Bad Rep' (and 'Bad Wrap')
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Time Traveler Quiz: Which Word Came First? Take the quiz
- Slippery Words Quiz—Changing with the Times Take the quiz
- Name That Thing Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game